Wrinkles, fine lines, and facial folds are a natural part of aging. As we age, our skin loses elasticity and cannot bounce back from repeated movements, leading to permanent lines on our faces. However, thanks to advances in medical science, there are ways to temporarily reduce the appearance of wrinkles and prevent new ones from forming. One of the most popular treatments is wrinkle relaxers.
Today, let us know more about these injectables, how they work, and the benefits you can get from experiencing them. Read until the end and discover if wrinkle relaxers can work for you.
What are Wrinkle Relaxers?
Also called neurotoxins, wrinkle relaxers are injectable compounds that relax muscles. When injected into the facial muscles, the appearance of moderate to severe facial lines is improved and smoothed out through wrinkle relaxation. This wrinkle relaxation procedure is performed on both adult men and women patients. There are several different brands of neurotoxins that all work for a variety of treatments and areas. Dysport, Xeomin, and Botox are the most commonly used.
- First, practitioners discuss your history and create a customized treatment plan for your needs. These experts hope to see you 3-4 times yearly since wrinkle relaxers provide quick results.
- The injections typically take 15-20 minutes once practitioners start the procedure, and they are targeted into your anatomical areas requiring wrinkle relaxation. Their goal is to provide consistent results that make you feel more confident.
- You may notice some minor swelling or redness, but this passes quickly. You may sometimes experience a slight headache later in the day, which also passes within a short time. Most people notice their lines smoothing within 24-48 hours, but continued improvement is expected for two weeks after their wrinkle relaxer injection.
- Experts will not see you back for a touch-up, correction, or increased dose for the full 14 days because “overshooting” results are possible, and they do not want to cause you an unnatural look or you are uncomfortable with it.
- Feel free to schedule your follow-up during your treatment appointment or within the next two weeks.
There are numerous benefits to using wrinkle relaxers, including the following:
- Reduction in the appearance of wrinkles: By temporarily relaxing the muscles that cause wrinkles, wrinkle relaxers can smooth out existing lines and prevent new ones from forming.
- Minimal downtime: Unlike surgical procedures that require significant recovery time, wrinkle relaxers are non-invasive and require little to no downtime. Patients can return to their daily activities immediately after the treatment.
- Quick and easy procedure: A typical wrinkle relaxer treatment can be completed in 10-15 minutes, making it a convenient option for busy individuals.
- Long-lasting results: Although the effects of wrinkle relaxers are temporary, they typically last for 3-4 months. Regular maintenance treatments allow patients to enjoy a more youthful and refreshed appearance over an extended period.
- Customizable treatment: Wrinkle relaxers can suit each patient’s unique needs. A skilled practitioner can adjust the dose and injection sites to achieve the desired results while maintaining a natural-looking appearance.
- Improved confidence and self-esteem: By reducing the appearance of wrinkles, wrinkle relaxers can help patients feel more confident and comfortable in their skin, leading to improved self-esteem.
- Treatment for medical conditions: Wrinkle relaxers are also used to treat various medical conditions, including excessive sweating, migraines, and muscle spasms.
It’s worth noting that while wrinkle relaxers are generally safe and effective, they should only be administered by a qualified medical professional. Patients should also be aware of potential side effects, including temporary bruising, swelling, and numbness at the injection site.
The Common Uses
- Forehead Lines – found on your forehead and occurs from repetitive eyebrow-raising movements throughout your life. They can be smoothed to reveal a more youthful look.
- 11s or WTF Lines – occur from frowning between your eyebrows and being very expressive over time. Wrinkle relaxer injectables can help by relaxing the muscles that control these movements, thereby reducing the severity of these lines and wrinkles.
- Bunny Lines – are wrinkles you see if you scrunch your nose like a bunny. With a small amount of neurotoxin, these lines can be smoothed, revealing a clean and beautiful appearance with fewer or no wrinkles.
- Crow’s Feet – these wrinkles are on the outside corner of your eyes and are caused by repetitive squinting, smiling, winking, and loss of collagen. This area with fragile and sensitive skin is frequently one of the first areas where people notice signs of aging.
- Jelly Eye Roll – these cases are the “rolls” under the eyes when you laugh or smile. They can cause one to look exhausted or “puffy.” With a small amount of neurotoxin injected under the bottom lash line, we can help you appear less puffy-looking under the eyes. They can be done concurrently with a crow’s feet treatment.
- Brow Lift – this procedure is achieved by injecting a select amount of wrinkle relaxer around the hairline and under the eyebrows to lift your brows and reduce the sagging or “hooded lid” appearance. This step achieves a more “awake” look for patients and can be done concurrently with a crow’s feet treatment, a jelly eye roll treatment, or even both.
- Lip Flip and Gummy Smile Reduction – a gummy smile occurs because the circular muscle around the lips draws the lips up and under, revealing too much of someone’s gums when they smile. Injecting neurotoxin to relax this muscle allows the lips to cover the gums and the top lip to appear much fuller.
- Masseter for TMJ – the masseter, one of the jaw muscles, is the strongest muscle in your body. Suppose it becomes too overactive from excessive chewing, clenching, or teeth grinding. In that case, it can cause temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMJ), a fuller look to the cheeks (like chipmunk cheeks), or headaches from increased tension. One treatment option is the injection of wrinkle relaxers into the masseter muscle to help relax it, relieve these symptoms, and even slim the face for both men and women.
- Hyperhidrosis – neurotoxin can be injected to help people with excessive sweating. By injecting neurotoxin near sweat glands, the activity of these glands can be reduced, decreasing perspiration (but maintaining function).
- Nefertiti Neck Lift – is named after the Egyptian queen Nefertiti, known for her long neck. By injecting wrinkle relaxers into the lower face, jaw, and neck, we can smooth lines, wrinkles, and “orange-peel skin” and tighten up the appearance of the neck, which temporarily reverses the signs of aging without surgery.
In conclusion, wrinkle relaxers are an excellent option for anyone looking to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and maintain a more youthful and refreshed appearance. With minimal downtime, quick and easy procedures, and long-lasting results, they are a convenient and effective solution for anyone concerned about the signs of aging.
If you are interested in experiencing wrinkle relaxers, our amazing friends at Awaken Aesthetics can help you today. Visit them now!